Church of the Ascension
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Awards: 2001 AIA-SFV Citation Award
We were the Architects for the addition to this notable building. The design concepts we implemented were based upon creating an addition that complements and improves the circulation of a historical building. This project consists of the renovation of a 1898 church and the addition of a classroom wing.
A new entrance was created serving the school, a full multi-purpose basement underneath the school, and the renovated sanctuary with new lighting and a new multipurpose parish hall with kitchen, by means of a hall (street) that passes by three courtyards of varying sizes. This street is constructed of exposed steel and glass evoking the 21st century while the rest of the addition is clad with the same sandstone as the original building with punched windows detailed in a manner respecting the original building.